CHECKLEY CRICKET CLUB HISTORY
We run a range of teams here at Checkley in various leagues. The Club is always keen to extend a warm welcome to new players, who can be sure of excellent Club facilities, extensive practice arrangements and a playing strength with a fine sporting tradition.
A short history of our club
The Club was Founded thanks to kind patronage and the personal involvement of the Philips family of the Heybridge Estate, Lower Tean. The Club played on various grounds within the Heybridge estate including a site near to the New Broom (formerly New Inn) and Spion Kop situated between Lower Tean and Leigh.
First entering of league cricket in 1905 by joining the Blythe Bridge & District League.
Cricket resumed after the First World War in 1919 when Lt. Col. H.B.Philips made the present ground at Four Trees available.
The first formal Lease was agreed between Lt. Col. H.B.Philips and Checkley Cricket Club for the continued use of the Four Trees Ground. The rent called for one peppercorn per annum, if so demanded.
Following Lt. Col H.B.Phillips’s death in 1951, in accordance with his wishes, the ground and pavilion was purchased by the Club from his executors for the sum of £400.
Checkley Cricket Club re-entered league cricket for the first time since WWI by gaining admission to the Stone & District League. Success was swift as the Club achieved promotion from Div. IV to Div. 1 in just four seasons. During their five years in Division One (1970-1974), the Club regularly finished amongst the top 3 or 4 clubs.
The Club embarked upon what was then their most ambitious project when a major ground levelling and drainage scheme commenced. This extensive work was undertaken by leaving the hallowed square undisturbed. A number of local sporting organisations kindly accommodated the Club for Checkley’s ‘home’ fixtures during 1971 but cricket was able to resume at Four Trees on 1st August 1971 when Mr Michael Philips officiated in the re-opening of the ground.
Checkley Cricket Club were admitted to the North Staffordshire & District League.
Junior cricket when it entered the Kidsgrove & District Junior Cricket League for Under 18’s.
The first phase of the pavilion rebuilding programme was completed in 1980. The second phase of the main clubroom was completed in April 1982 and the final stage comprising changing rooms and showers was achieved in 1984.
Promotion from Senior B to Senior A of the North Staffordshire & District League.
The Club established a unique league record by virtue of the First Eleven being crowned League Champions and winning the league’s James & Tatton Knockout Trophy whilst the Second Eleven achieved the similar feat in finishing as Second Eleven League Champions and also collecting their respective League Knockout trophy.
The Club was accepted into the North Staffordshire & South Cheshire Cricket League competing in Section ‘B’.
The Club gained promotion into the top flight of Section ‘A’ for season 2000.
Following the North Staffordshire & South Cheshire Cricket league achieving ECB Premier accreditation, Checkley were one of the twelve clubs that formed the Premier Division in the inaugural year of the Premiership.
Checkley 1st XI win the Talbot Cup League Knockout Final in a thrilling match against Stone in front of a large home crowd.
The Club’s 2nd XI win the Talbot Shield League Knockout Final by beating Caverswall.
Checkley U21s win the inaugural North Staffordshire & South Cheshire Cricket League V3 Cup.
Checkley 1st XI enjoy a terrific year in the Cup competitions winning the Staffordshire Cup against Walsall, the league T20 Cup against Whitmore and reached the Final of the Talbot Cup losing to J&G Meakins.
2nd XI gain promotion from the North Staffordshire & South Cheshire Cricket League Division 4 and win the Talbot Shield League Knockout Final by beating close league rivals Sandbach at our Four Trees ground.