History

Founded in 1860 thanks to the interest, kind patronage and the personal involvement of the Philips family of the Heybridge Estate, Lower Tean. The Club played on various grounds within the Heybridge estate including a site near to the New Broom (formerly New Inn) and Spion Kop situated between Lower Tean and Leigh and because of one of the relocations, the Club’s name was changed to Lower Tean Cricket Club in 1902. After first entering league cricket in 1905 by joining the Blythe Bridge & District League its name reverted to Checkley Cricket Club in 1909.

Cricket resumed after the First World War in 1919 when Lt. Col. H.B.Philips made the present ground at Four Trees available and provided a pavilion and mowers etc. Due to Lt. Col. H.B.Philips’ absence from the district in 1927, the first formal Lease was agreed between Lt. Col. H.B.Philips and Checkley Cricket Club for the continued use of the Four Trees Ground.  The generous terms of rent stipulated by Lt. Col. H.B.Philips called for one peppercorn per annum, if so demanded.

Club cricket was played under his patronage until his death in 1951 and in accordance with his wishes, the ground and pavilion was purchased by the Club from his executors for the sum of £400 in 1954.

In 1966 Checkley Cricket Club re-entered league cricket for the first time since the First World War by gaining admission to the Stone & District League. Success was swift as the Club achieved promotion from Div. IV to Div. 1 in just four seasons. During their five years in Division One (1970-1974), the Club regularly finished amongst the top 3 or 4 clubs.

In the autumn of 1970 the Club embarked upon what was then their most ambitious project when a major ground levelling and drainage scheme commenced. This extensive work was undertaken by leaving the hallowed square undisturbed. A number of local sporting organisations kindly accommodated the Club for Checkley’s ‘home’ fixtures during 1971 but cricket was able to resume at Four Trees on 1st August 1971 when Mr Michael Philips officiated in the re-opening of the ground.

The first phase of the pavilion rebuilding programme was completed in 1980. The second phase of the main clubroom was completed in April 1982 and the final stage comprising changing rooms and showers was achieved in 1984.

Checkley Cricket Club were admitted to the North Staffordshire & District League for the 1975 season and finally captured promotion from Senior B to Senior A in 1985. Cricketing ‘utopia’ was accomplished in 1993 when the Club established a unique league record by virtue of the First Eleven being crowned League Champions and winning the league’s James & Tatton Knockout Trophy whilst the Second Eleven achieved the similar feat in finishing as Second Eleven League Champions and also collecting their respective League Knockout trophy.

In 1995 the Club was accepted into the North Staffordshire & South Cheshire Cricket League competing in Section ‘B’ and gained promotion into the top flight of Section ‘A’ for season 2000. Following the league achieving ECB Premier accreditation, Checkley were one of the twelve clubs that formed the Premier Division in the inaugural year of Premiership in 2001.

Youth cricket was first introduced in the Club in1976 when it entered the Kidsgrove & District Junior Cricket League for Under 18’s. Since then, the Club has maintained a successful youth development policy and additional to its continued membership of the Kidsgrove & District Junior League, it now also has Under 9’s, Under 11’s, Under 13’s and Under 15’s competing in the South Moorlands Junior Cricket League. Junior team management and coaching is supported by a panel of senior members who are ECB approved coaches Level 1 and 2.